This article explains exactly what manual chain blocks and hoists are, and the huge range of benefits which make them so widely used within the industrial sphere today. Please read on below to find out more!
What are manual chain hoists?
Often made from durable, high-grade steel, manual chain hoists are pieces of portable lifting equipment operated by hand. They are very adaptable within workplace conditions, and are often used for rigging, construction, maintenance and other applications.
An example of one of our chain blocks
Manual chain hoists are relatively simple devices, which have the ability to lift large amounts of weight which would otherwise be rather impossible to lift. The chain operator activates the lifting mechanism by pulling down on the hand chain. In activating the lifting mechanism, the other end of the chain is lifted – usually with a load attached.
The manual hoist is able to increase the mechanical work being done because of the gear ration inside of the manual lifting equipment, meaning the chain operator is able to lift heavy loads with ease. Please read this article for more information on how manual chain hoists work.
Benefits of using this equipment
There are many benefits associated with using manual lifting equipment in industrial environments. These include:
- Their ability to suit a variety of work settings and conditions, including rigging, construction, and maintenance
- They are compact and manual pieces of equipment, meaning they are ideal for temporary use around the warehouse, and where space is limited
- They don’t need electricity or air in order to function
- They are generally more cost-effective than electric or hydraulic hoists, and are therefore often the go-to product when issues of speed with lifting equipment is not important
- They require very little maintenance
- Furthermore, because of the nature of the hoist, they are much more accurate, and so are better to use when accurate positioning of a load is vital, such as in the installation or removal of tools or machinery
Here at Lifting Gear Direct we stock a large selection of manual lifting equipment, made from leaders in the industry. Our lifting and lowering equipment is available in a range of configurations and lifting capacities, with advanced options including spark resistance, corrosion resistance and heavy duty models. Examples include:
- Yalelift ITP Corrosion Resistant Chain Block with Integral Trolley – a push travel trolley, with capacities ranging from 500kg up to 1250kg
- Kito CF Chain Block – a simple to use device with robust qualities, it has the ability to lift loads from 500kg up to 5000kg
Contact us directly
We hope the above article has been helpful in answering any questions you may have about this lifting medium. They are a relatively simple device which have a wealth of benefits, making them a useful lifting and lowering tool within the industrial sphere. If you have any other questions regarding hoists, please do not hesitate to contact the Lifting Gear Direct team, who will be happy to answer any questions you may have. You can find our contact details here.